Rummel Haus Activity Center
The historic Rummel Haus has been restored and refurbished to serve as an activity center. It’s used on a regular basis for children’s art classes, Junior Master Gardener training, Book Club, and Library Board meetings.
The Rummel Haus is also available for community meetings and private social, non-commercial events.
The first floor of the haus has:
- a meeting room with tables and chairs for approximately 25 people
- a cozy reading room with comfortable reading chairs and a small table and chairs
- a full kitchen with all appliances and plenty of counter space
The second story of the haus is a classroom setting with table and chairs for approximately 12 people and a an interactive white board (SmartBoard).
The Library has an objective to work in partnership with community organizations and non-profits – and makes the Rummel Haus available for meetings and gatherings. Donations to help fund the care and upkeep of the Rummel Haus are certainly appreciated but not required.
The Rummel Haus - 1872
We have two accounts that give us insight into the history of the Rummel Haus, and there are no doubt more that will surface as time goes by. The following is a blending of this information in attempt to share what we have learned about this quaint and stately cottage.
When the town of Round Top was incorporated in 1870 Francis W. McGuire was appointed mayor. At that time he owned ten acres on Mill Street that later, on April 1, 1871, was bought by William Rummel. There McGuire operated a steam sawmill, cotton gin and other machinery. There is no information that a house existed on the ten acres, but deed records do state that a house existed on block 23. That would have been adjacent to and to the south of the ten acres.
Carl William Rummel, Jr. (He preferred to be called William) and Clara Hillebrandt were married January 21, 1868, in the Bethlehem Lutheran Church by Reverend Adam Neuthard. It is assumed that this young couple began planning for a nice home and when they purchased the ten acres in 1871 their plans began to take shape.
William’s grandfather, Carl Siegismund Bauer, was an exceptional stone mason who had already helped construct the Schueddemagen house for his daughter and son in law, Conrad Schueddemagen, in the 1850s. He was also the planner and overseer for the construction of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church dedicated in 1866, so it is assumed that he was instrumental in the plans for the Rummel Haus. It is also believed, although not documented, that the beautiful stone house which is known as the Rummel Haus probably was built in 1871 and 1872. Carl S Bauer passed away on January 27, 1873 after a brief illness.
William and Clara reared a family of six children, three boys and three girls in Round Top. They are buried in the Bethlehem Lutheran Cemetery as is Carl S. Bauer.